1. The word as the basic unit of the language.
The defenition of the word is a hard task. It should indicate the most important characteristics at the word:
1. the word is the basic unit of the language. The word has meaning, can be used a complete utterance, it can be used independence. 2. it has form and meaning. 3. when a derivational affix is added, a new word is formed.
4. when used in a sentence together with other words they are syntactically organized (e.g. she spoke told us a story)
Even the simpliest word has many aspects. It is studied in phonology, lexicology, morphology, syntax, stylistics, philosophy, psyhology.
The definition of the word was studied by Leonard Blomfield, Henry Sweet. They destingvished the following characteristics of the word:
1. positional mobility. The sentence consist of words. There are several possible changes in the sequence of words.
(the boy walk slowly up the hill. Up the hill the boy walk...)
2. morphological uninterruptability. The word is internally stable - we can not change places of morphemes or insert anything into the word.
3. semantic integrity. The word consist of semantic components. This components work as one unity in any context. (bachelor - ÃÂ ÃÂ¾ÃÂ»ÃÂ¾ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂº).
Russian lexicologist base upon the materialistic understanding of the word. The feary of the word was worked by Vinogradov,Ahmatova, Stepanova, Ufimceva.
the word is the basic unit of the language.2. it is a dialectical unity of form and content. 3. the word is a sign. 4. Concepts fixed in the meanings of words are formed as generalized and approximately correct reflections of reality (Lenin's theory of reflection)
2. Morphological structure of the English word
Words are composed of morphemes. A morpheme is an association of a given meaning with a given sound...