1.1 Plot Synopsis
Summarize the story in ten sentences.
1. Danny Thorson moves to the isolated Black Island on a teaching job.
2. He spends time on the island and finds out that it is nothing but rock surrounded by water.
3. He meets Sick Jack and his daughter Adel and finds Adel very attractive; he likes her a lot.
4. Mrs. Poorwilly reveals to Danny that people on the island usually die in "threes."
5. Sick Jack dies and they set him out to a sea burial.
6. Danny witnesses Michael Fairweather die in a sea-storm.
7. Marj Fairweather, Micheals mother, commits suicide from being overwhelmed with Michaels death.
8. Mr. And Mrs. Poorwilly then volunteer to take in Marj Fairweather's kids which results to Danny moving out and moving in with Adel.
9. Danny then falls in love with Adel and wants to marry her back at the mainland, off of the Island.
10. Danny tries every possible way to get Adel and him off of the island but realizes he is cursed by the Blood flowers and is stuck there forever.
1.2 Point of View/Narration
From whose perspective is the story being told? Why is this important?
The story is being told by a Narrator. This is important because it keeps the reader guessing what each character is thinking. Although, as readers, we pretty much know what Danny thinks and the reasons for his actions but we do not know what the rest of the people on the island are thinking. It isn't until you look in depth to what the other characters say do you realize what they are actually trying to do to Danny.
1.3 Passage Analysis
Choose one key passage. Re-write it in the space below. Discuss the importance of your chosen passage with...