Animal farm Chapter 1 Word Study: Ensconced - Shelter, Conceal Synonyms - asylum, cover, covert Antonym - reject Cynical- having or showing the attitude or temper of a cynic.
Synonyms - ironic, sardonic Antonym - excepting Plaited - to interweave the strands Synonyms - sew, knit Antonym - Dissentient - expressing dissent Synonyms - disaccord, disagree, discord Antonym - agree Enmity- deep deated hatred Synonyms - hostility, antagonism Antonym - friendly Questions: 1. Mr. Jones is portrayed in the first chapter as a lazy cruel man.
2. Clovers humanly trait is sheÃÂs a motherly middle life mare who had never quite got her figure back after her fourth foal.
Boxer was an enormous beast nearly eighteen hands high and as strong as any two ordinary horses put together. A white strip down his nose gave him a somewhat stupid appearance, and he was not of first rate intelligence.
Benjamin was the oldest and the worst tempered.
He seldom talked and when he did it was usuallt to make some cynical remark.
Mollie the foolish pritty white mare came mincing daintily in and took her place near the front and began flirting her white mane hoping to draw attention to the red ribbions it was plaited with.
The cat purred contented throughout MayorÃÂs speech without listening to a word of what he was saying.
3. mayor called the meeting so he could tell the rest of the animals about his dream and his views.
4. The political statement that emerges from mayors dream is the animals shoudnÃÂt be oppressed by humans.
5. Mayors warning was to not trust humans.
6. Mayor warns that man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He doesnÃÂt give milk, heÃÂs to weak to pull anything, and he canÃÂt lay eggs.
7. Mayor said no animal must ever rule over his own kind, and no animal must kill any other animal. All animals are equal.
8. A world where all animals are equal and when animals rule over the humans.
10. The pigs and dogs learned the song quickly.
11. The animals respond to the song by jumping around and by all singing it.