Asbestos and carbon monoxide are two types of indoor air pollution. Asbestos can be found in the insulation of older buildings and carbon monoxide can be found in houses with wood burning fireplaces or stoves. Asbestos used to be used in insulation because it does not conduct heat. Carbon monoxide is given off in some combustion reactions such as those that take place in a woodstove or fireplace. Also smoking releases carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide attaches to hemoglobin in the blood and replaces oxygen. It can cause fatigue, dizziness and even death. Asbestos affects the respiratory system. It can cause lung cancer and other lung diseases. Asbestos should carefully be removed and replaced with a safer insulation. Carbon monoxide should be properly vented out of the house through a chimney.
A sick building is a building in which the occupants all suffer related, on going, illnesses or contains high levels of air pollutants.
A building can be declared a sick building if a number of the occupants report related sicknesses or air pollution related symptoms such as lung disease or asthma.