* For a higher score include direct image links for the 8 pieces of art.
Over the centuries many different types of art have developed, causing it to be difficult to define the word ÃÂartÃÂ. Unfortunately there is not a definition that has been universally accepted. The word ÃÂartÃÂ can commonly be described as something beautiful or something with aesthetic results. A vast definition of art would be Art is accomplished when an artist creates any beautiful object or generates an experience that is stimulating, in which his/her audience considers artistic. (Definition of Art, 2010) Another definition of art is the conscious arrangement or production of forms, sounds, movements, colors, or any other type of element in a manner that would affect a sense of beauty. (art, n.d.)1. Painting ÃÂ http://www.kennethnoland.com/ Kenneth Noland is known for his brilliantly colored stripes, chevrons and concentric circles, known as Color Field painting.
I believe this is exemplifies the definition of art because it shows an arrangement of colors and forms.
2. Sculpture ÃÂ http://calder.org/home Alexander Calder is most famous for inventing the mobile. A mobile consists of rods, which weighted objects or more rods hang from. His art gives a visual stimulation with forms, movements, colors, and beauty.
3. Architecture ÃÂ http:// www.gaudidesigner.com/uk/ Antoni Gaudi is known for his sensuous design style. His art is unique, almost surreal, and shows his personality.
4. Photography - http://museum.icp.org/museum/collections/special/weegee/ Arthur Fellig ÃÂWeegeeÃÂ is known for his black and white street photos of gangs, crime, death, and life in the 1940ÃÂs. His art shows elements that affect the sense of beauty.
5. Printmaking - http://www.katsushikahokusai.org/ Katsushika Hokusai is best known for his ÃÂThirty-Six ViewsÃÂ, which is a series of paintings. His art shows the beauty in real life surroundings.
6. Conceptual Art - http://www.skny.com/artists/joseph-kosuth/ Joseph Kosuth is famous for his work ÃÂOne and Three ChairsÃÂ. His work shows a concept, ideas, and visual expressions.
7. Installation Art - http://www.marcelduchamp.net/ Marcel Duchamp is one of the most famous conceptual artist, the creator of the ÃÂready-madeÃÂ. He is best known for his ÃÂFountainÃÂ, which was a urinal basin. His installation art was ordinary, yet showed the unique elements of ordinary items.
8. Performance Art - http://www.acconci.com/ Vito Acconci is famous for his ÃÂseedbedÃÂ performance. I found this most interesting since I never considered this to be a type of ÃÂartÃÂ compared to other ÃÂartÃÂ such as the other 7 listed. It definitely fits the art definition of ÃÂstimulating experienceÃÂ.
References:Acconi Studio. (n.d.) Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://www.acconci.com/art. (n.d.). The American HeritageÃÂ® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved January 06, 2010, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/artCalder Foundation. (2010). Retrieved January 7, 2010, from http://calder.org/homeDefinition of Art. (2010).Retrieved January 6, 2010, from http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/art-definition.htmGaudi Designer. (2010). Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http:// www.gaudidesigner.com/uk/Katsushika Hokusai. (2002-2010). Retrieved January 9, 2010, from http://www.katsushikahokusai.org/Marcel Duchamp World Community. (2010). Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://www.marcelduchamp.net/Sean Kelly Gallery: Joseph Kosuth. (n.d.). Retrieved January 9, 2010, from http://www.skny.com/artists/joseph-kosuth/WeegeeÃÂs World. (1998). Retrieved January 8, 2010, from http://museum.icp.org/museum/collections/special/weegee/