1. a) Kelly Clarkson "Breakaway" from America
b) Natasha Bedingfield "Unwritten" from England
2. Clarkson doesn't have any distinctive characteristic as well as Bedingfield. Their voice type is a clear alto voice. However, they seem to have a large range.
3. a) This person wants to be free and when she was younger, living in that small town, she was thinking what she could be. But when she was trying to say her thoughts, no one could hear her. At the end, she achieves what she wanted but she never forgets the people that she loves
b) This song sends the message that every single day is a new day that you don't know what it's going to happen. It also tells us that we are unique by the words "feel the rain on your skin, no one else can feel it for you".
4. Both of the songs that I've chosen are pop, because:
Pop Music features simple, memorable melodies with catchy, sing along choruses
Pop songs have one or more musical ideas repeated to "hook" a listener's interest.
Pop music is often criticised for being criticised
The single most popular subject for pop music is love.
5. a) There is a constant beat. The music is written in duple compound time The instruments that are involved are guitar, electric guitar, synthesizer and drums. They are not poly-rhythms.
b) There is a constant beat. It's written in quadruple time. The instruments that are involved are: drums and bass guitar supply that beat. The drums also play the same rhythm through performance. They are not poly-rhythms.
6. a) The tempo of "Breakaway" is moderato, so that means it's moderately fast. The tempo doesn't stay the same throughout the music. At the end it becomes faster.
b) It's moderately fast, moderato.