Block I Science Test Review Mr. Tim
The Test will cover the following concepts and terms:
1. Observations and Inferences: Definitions and examples
2. Parts of the Microscope: (How to use it-lab-separate part of test)
Terms: microscope (know how to use it to view objects on slides)
wet mount (how to make one),
cover slip (what is it used for?),
total magnification (how to calculate it-lens x objective),
objective lens (types and what they do)
3. Cell Theory: 6 tenets of Cells: (Who first proposed them?)
* All known living things are made up of cells.
* The cell is structural & functional unit of all living things.
* All cells come from pre-existing cells by division. (Spontaneous Generation does not occur).
* Cells contain hereditary information which is passed from cell to cell during cell division.
* All cells are basically the same in chemical composition.
* All energy flow (metabolism & biochemistry) of life occurs within cells
4. Life Processes (6-what makes something alive, what ALL living things do)
* Take in nutrients/energy
* Use energy
* Produce wastes
* Respond to environment
5. Animal Cell Organelles/Function
a. cell membrane -the thin layer of protein and fat that surrounds the cell.
b. centrosome -a small body located near the nucleus microtubules are made.
c. cytoplasm -the jellylike material outside the cell nucleus in which the organelles are located.
d. Golgi body -(also called the Golgi apparatus or Golgi complex) a flattened, layered, sac-like organelle that looks like a stack of pancakes. It packages proteins and carbohydrates into membrane-bound vesicles for "export" from the cell.
e. lysosome -(also called cell vesicles) round organelles surrounded by a membrane and containing digestive enzymes. This is where the digestion of cell nutrients takes place.
f. mitochondrion -spherical...