Disneyland in Hong Kong- Good or Bad? The aim of this essay is to discuss the advantages and disadvantages in having Disneyland coming into Hong Kong. Disneyland is a famous theme part, with outlets all around the world, including Japan, America and France. And now, Disney decided that the next theme part it is going to locate itself is Hong Kong- is how beneficial will it be to Hong Kong? The diagram on the left shows the proposed location of Disney land in Hong Kong. It will be situated at the west of Hong Kong island, in Penny?s Bay. Land reclamation will be used if extra land is needed for Disney to expand in the future.
Environmentalists and Economists alike have been arguing for and against the case of Disney, each proposing different ideas and points in whether Disney will benefit Hong Kong. After 9 months of detailed negotiations, which reflects the amount of thought put into Disney, the Chinese government, on 2nd of November 1999, announced that the final conclusion is that Disneyland will be coming to Hong Kong.
Both sides agreed that the government held 57% of the shares of the company while the remaining 43% were left in the hands of the Disney Corporation.
To further analyze the advantages and disadvantages of Disneyland in Hong Kong, this essay will be separated into three parts: ? Social Benefits to Hong Kong ? Social Costs to Hong Kong ? Final conclusion We do not include the private costs and private benefits as we are naturally not interested in it- the main focus of this essay is the benefits and costs for Hong Kong, not Disney. Thus Disney?s concerns will differ from ours.
Method Primary and Secondary data will be collected to fully analyze the pros and cons for...