please email me for the real studyguide which is probably a little bit more convenient to read due to margins,structure etc
The Duel for North America 1608-1763
* Difficulties w/colonizing as a result of rel. wars during the 1500s between the RCC and Protestant Huguenots i.e. St. Bartholomew's Day massacre
* Edict of Nantes: grants limited toleration to Fr. ProtestantsWar ceases
* 1608 Quebec est. by Fr. Lead by Samuel de Champlain "father of New Fr"
1. friendly w/Huron tribes and joins them in battle against Iroquois which earns Fr. Lasting enmity of the Iroquois who hindered penetration on Ohio
* Gov. of New Fr. Autocratic. No elected representative assemblies/right to trial by jury
* New Fr. Inhabited by 60,000 most had no econ reason to move there.
* New Fr. has beavers a valuable econ. resource 4 its warmth&appearance.
* Ind. Recruited 4 fur negociodie from disease,debauched by alcohol, killing beavers violated many Indian beliefs.
Eur. Had neg. effect on the ind. traditional way of life
* Practically extinguish beaver pop. & cause ecological harm
* Jesuits: Fr. Cath. Missionaries struggled 2 save Indians 4 Christ & from fur trappers. Suffer at the ends of Indians but are vital as explorers and geographers.
* Antoine Cadillac: founded Detroit, ""the city of the straits" in 1701
* Robert de la Salle:2 check Span. In2 the Gulf of Mexico he est. Louisiana in 1682 is murdered by his men when he is unable to find the Mississippi Delta in an expedition
* New Orleans: 1718 planted several vital fortified posts
* Kashkaskid,Cahokia and Vincennes exported grain
THE CLASH OF EMPIRES
* King William's War(1689-1697) and Queen Anne's War(1702-1713)
1. Fr. Coureurs de bois (runners of the woods).vs. british colonies and any of their Indian allies.
2. Guerilla warfare.
3. British fail...