Hope you injoy my science project very good
The Effect of Concentrations of Starch and Sugar Solutions on Synthetic Semi-Permeable Membranes
By: Jamie Hardy
Is dialysis tubing selectively permeable?
If one has dialysis tubing, which is dipped in water, filled with Gatorade and starch and is left for 15 minutes, the sugar in the Gatorade will exit the dialysis and into the water. So the dialysis is semi-permeable.
16 cm dialysis tubing
Starch solution 10 g/1000 ml water
1. Each group will make up a Gatorade solution as follows:
Group 1 1.0 M 3.4 g/10 ml
Group 2 0.5 M 1.7 g/10 ml
Group 3 0.5 M 1.7 g/10 ml
Group 4 0.2 M 0.7 g/10 ml
Group 5 0.2 M 0.7 g/10 ml
NB: Tare the balance.
Tare the balance with a test tube inside a beaker.
Add the amount to the tube.
Vortex, gradually turning the speed up.
Heat in a water bath.
Cool the tube.
2. Wet the dialysis tubing with the beaker of distilled water.
3. Twist one end of the tubing.
4. Fold the twisted end over on itself.
5. Tie a tight knot. Leave the extra string.
6. Insert the transfer pipette (cut off top) about one third of the way into the tubing.
7. Tie a knot securely around the transfer pipette. Leave the extra string.
8. Add two transfer pipettes (two squirts) of the Gatorade solution to the tubing.
9. Add two transfer pipettes (two squirts) of the starch solution to the tubing.
10. If you spilled any solutions while transferring, carefully rinse the tubing.
11. Fill the cylinder with distilled water to about...