Purpose: The purpose of this lab is to classify elements according to their properties.
Pen or Pencil
Prediction: I predict that I will be able to find out if elements conduct electricity or are magnetic.
1. Draw a data table using the following headings: Element, Symbol, Properties.
2. Put on safety goggles.
3. Take one of the elements
4. Record the name and symbol of the element in your chart.
5. Using the volt meter, test the element to see if it conducts electricity.
6. Record the outcome in the properties column of your chart.
7. Using the magnet, see if the element is magnetic.
8. Record the outcome in the properties column of your chart.
9. Also, in the properties column, record the color of the element (If the element is not visible, say so), the state of matter (solid, liquid, or gas) of the element, if the element is shiny or dull, and if it is heavy or light for its size compared with the others.
10. Repeat for the other elements.
Element Symbol Electrical Conductor Magnetic Colour State Shiny or Dull Heavy or Light
Nitrogen N N/A N/A Invisible Gas N/A* Light
Nickel Ni Yes Yes Silver Solid Shiny Heavy
Iron Fe Yes Yes Silver Solid Shiny Heavy
Tin Sn Yes No Silver Solid Shiny Light
Sulfur S N/A N/A Yellow Solid Dull Light
Copper Cu Yes No Bronze Solid Shiny Light
Lead Pb Yes Yes Gray Solid Shiny Heavy
Zinc Zn Yes No Silver Solid Shiny Light
Calcium Ca N/A N/A White Solid Dull Light
Antimony Sb N/A N/A Silver Solid Shiny Heavy
Bromine Br N/A N/A Red Liquid Dull Light
Magnesium Mg N/A N/A Silver Solid Shiny Light
Carbon C Yes No Black Solid...