In the United States we have a national Threatened and Endangered Species list that allows government intervention and protection of a species deemed endangered or threatened. "An "endangered" species is one that is in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range. A "threatened" species is one that is likely to become endangered in the foreseeable future. " (http://www.fws.gov/endangered/wildlife.html#Species)
The total of all animal species on the Threatened and Endangered Species list worldwide is 1078, of which 905 are listed as endangered and 173 as threatened.
Here is a breakdown of the current list:
-United States alone is responsible for 518 species listed of which 389 are listed as endangered and 129 as threatened.
-All other countries combined account for 560 species listed of which 516 are endangered and 44 are threatened.
-The United States is responsible for 48% of the total species on the Threatened and Endangered Species list while all foreign countries combined account for the remaining 52%.
-In the United States 75% of the species listed are endangered and 25% are threatened.
-In foreign countries 92% of the species listed are endangered and 8% are threatened
Before a species can be added to the Threatened and Endangered Species list it must be thoroughly examined and meet the criteria set forth by the federal government. The government has set forth the following guidelines. "A species is added to the list when it is determined to be endangered or threatened because of any of the following factors:
-The present or threatened destruction, modification, or curtailment of the species' habitat or range;
-Over utilization for commercial, recreational, scientific, or educational purposes;
-Disease or predation;
-The inadequacy of existing regulatory mechanisms;
-Other natural or manmade factors affecting the species' survival."
When examining the reasons for endangerment...