* State that the Trojan War happened but to say that the war was that of the Iliad is somewhat premature due to the lack of solid evidence.
* Site of Hissarlik through archaeological sources and through literary sources (Iliad) has been identified as the Troy of the Iliad. (Troy VII)
* The mound of Hissarlik discovered by Schliemann and Calvert and both consider it to be Troy.
* 9 Layers of Troy + Iliad tell us it must have been there.
* After excavations (dating of sites) there are doubts due to size of Troy VIIa:
-"I am extremely disappointed at being obliged to give so small a plan of Troy" - Schliemann.
-"The very poverty of Troy VIIa makes it less likely an object of a large scale military enterprise" - Nylander
-"Hissarlik doesn't agree with the situation depicted by the Iliad...with streets, houses and palaces" - Carpenter
* Korfmann believes that Hissarlik is Troy.
* Hissarlik is the site due to excavations of Troy VIIa
* They found:
-Decline in Mycenaean pottery
* Korfmann excavates (magnetic scan) and finds a ditch which encircles Hissarlik (citadel)
-Schliemann's remorse about size of Troy is proven wrong.
-City can now fit 8000 people!
-Fits purpose of defence
-"People who think there was a Homeric Troy - a city of substantial size and
Population - will be happy with this result" - Korfmann
* Evidence of a catastrophic war has been uncovered.
-Arrows and slings found.
-Greek Bronze Age swords are found.
-Horse remains are found - ties with Iliad
-Human remains found in streets etc.
-"It was a city that was besieged. It was a city that defended itself. They lost the war and were obviously defeated"