1. The long form of this country's name is The People's Republic of China; the short form is China.
2. The government type is Communist.
3. History: China is one of the four oldest world civilizations and has a written history of 4,000 years.
4. The longest march in military history was the famous Long March by the Chinese Communists. 90,000 soldiers walked 6,000 miles, crossed 18 mountain ranges and 6 major rivers, and 22,000 soldiers survived.
5. The bloodiest civil war in history was the Great Peace Rebellion, led by a deranged Chinaman who thought he was a younger brother of Jesus Christ. About 20 million people died in that rebellion.
6. Population: China is the most populated country in the world, with an estimated population in 2003 of 2,286,975,468 people.
7. The four biggest cities by population in China are Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin and HongKong.
8. The capital of China is Beijing.
9. 22% of the people live in urban cities.
10. China has over 40 cities with over 1 million people.
11. 92% of the population are Han Chinese.
12. There are 55 ethnic minorities in China.
13. The largest minority is the Zhuang (15 million).
14. Other minorities are Manchu, Hui, Miao, Uygurs, Yi, Tujia, Mongols and Tibetans.
15. Language: The official written language of China is Mandarin, but there are many different spoken dialects.
16. In the Tibet Province, 96% of the people are minorities.
17. Geographically, China is the third largest country in the world, with approximately 3.7 million square miles of land. Only Russia and Canada are larger than China.
18. Two of the world's greatest rivers are entirely in China: the Yellow River, known for its flood and its yellow silt; and the Yangtze River (3,940 miles long). Only the Nile...