The history of Rohr, a respected supplier of engine-related components and structures to the aerospace industry, began in 1940. The company founder, Mr. Fred Rohr, was well known as an "artist with metals" and was selected to fabricate the fuel tanks for Charles Lindbergh's "Spirit of St. Louis." With this accomplishment under his belt, he soon began working on military aircraft during the World War II boom era. Rohr realized there was a definite need for a manufacturing subcontractor that could provide aircraft builders with major structural assemblies. It was because of this vision that Rohr, within a span of 50 years was able to obtain the leading share of the worlds market for its core products: nacelles, pylons, and thrust reversers. During the latter 1990's, the Aero-Structures industry as a whole had its "ups and downs" in the market. As a result, in 1997, during an industry down turn, Goodrich managed to complete a merger with Rohr.
The addition of this company, with annual sales of more than $1 billion, significantly expanded Goodrich's already established presence as a supplier of complex integrated aircraft systems.
Today, Goodrich Aero-Structures has plants worldwide in such locations as France, Germany, Singapore, United Kingdom, Texas, Washington, and California to name just a few. The Aero-Structures Group's customer base includes the world's foremost airframe builders (Airbus Industries and Boeing) and premier engine manufacturers (GE, Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, International Aero Engines, and CFM International). Goodrich currently provides direct support to over 300 commercial and non-commercial airlines.
For the purpose of this case study, the focus will be primarily on the Chula Vista facility. Located at: 850 Lagoon Drive, Chula Vista, California 91910-2098. This facility is the headquarters for Goodrich's Aerospace Division and currently employs over 2300 individuals, though at times has employed over...