Management is the process of designing and maintaining an environment in which individuals, working together in groups, efficiently accomplish selected goals.
What skills should a manager possess?
Innovating- Finding new methods of achieving goals
Motivating- Instilling excitement and energy
Organizing- Identification and classification of required activities and grouping these to attain the objectives
Recruitment- The actual recruitment of potential employees is normally done in newspapers, employment agencies and the internet e.g. www.monster.com
Orientation- Showing a new employee organizational policies and rules.
Training and Development- Training to improve or instill skills. Developing can prepare employees for additional responsibility.
Performance Appraisal- A system designed to measure actual job performance
Leadership is the process of influencing and directing people towards the accomplishment of a goal or objective.
Overall, we can see similarities in the skills a manager has and the processes they use to achieve organizational objectives. However, the nature of management tends to differ because of many factors such as organizational culture, level, individuality and the industry.
Questions for a prospective manager
1. Explain how you motivate others to work more efficiently.
2. How would you deal with a subordinate who violated a company policy?
3. Are you a leader? Give some examples.
4. How do you feel that you've improved your planning process in the last few years?
5. How do you determine your priorities?
6. How do you plan for large projects?
7. What in your life has given you the most satisfaction?
8. In what ways do your think you can make a contribution to our company?
9. Why would you be an asset to our company?
10. What major problem have you encountered and how did you handle it?
A manager's responsibility is to lead an organization's staff to the achievements of previously set goals...