The menu is the restaurant first and last impression. It is the most important communication tool between the restaurant and the customers. When guests are seated in the restaurant, they are given a menu, which is the primary communications, sales and public tool of the restaurant.
The purpose of the menu is to inform guest of items available and price, to inform employees of the items to prepare and purchase. The menu is a mission statement, it defines operation's concept and communicates that concept to the guests. Menu is one of the single biggest influence on an operation's development of a loyal guests base and positive return on it investment.
Menu planning factors:
Guests come to the restaurant for a pleasurable dining experience and the menu is the most important component in this experiences. Menu affects, and is affected by, the operation design and layout, equipment requirement and labor needs.
The major challenge of the restaurant operator is to provide tastier presentation, to offering healthy food options, to creating flavors that are nothing short of extraordinary.
Menu planning objectives:
* Menu must meet or exceed guest expectation
- reflect tastes and preferences of the guest
* Menu must attain marking objectives:
- what guest wants, location, prices, times
- must bring back guests for more visit
* Menu must meet quality of standard
- quality and nutrition go hand in hand
- flavor, shapes, texture, palatability, flair
* Menu must be cost effective
* Menu must be accurate
* Menu must blend old with new
- balance between traditional and innovation
- give new menu items to give guests fresh perspective
* Staff must be able to produce and service items on the menu
Menu design factors:
The menu must begin with the needs and expectations of the guests. When...