Book Report: Social Studies Title: Of Mice and men Author: John Steinbeck Genre: Historic Adventure Fictional Status: Fiction 1) a) The story is written in third person.
b) This is in third person because the word I, me, or my is only used in speech.
2) a) The time is around the 1900's.
b) This takes place a few miles south of Soledad.
c) The story is written in past tense.
3) There are two main characters. George is a short, smart person who has a hard life and a short temper with Lennie, the other main character. Lennie is a big, strong man. He is not very smart and is very gentle. He likes small soft things like rabbits.
4) The force working against George and Lennie is lack of money. They want to have enough money to buy a house with animals to raise. They want to live off the fat of the land and Lennie wants to tend the rabbits.
They can conquer lack of money by getting a job and saving up money.
5) The other main characters are: Slim: A tall man with black hair and the leader of the ranch.
Curley: A short mean man who looks for trouble.
Carlson: A powerful big-stomached man who has a five puppies.
Crooks: A black stable buck with a hurt back and is nice.
Candy: A nice guy with a really old dog.
Curley's Wife: A very pretty lady who Lennie likes.
6) The main problem the characters face is finding a house and the money to buy it. They do find a house a lady is selling for cheap and try to get a deal on it. George just must keep Lennie out of trouble until they can get all of the money.
7) A) Beginning: Lennie and George are traveling to where their new job is. They are by a pond. George and Lennie are described together in the scene and all other characters are introduced as they meet them.
B) Middle: Lennie tries not to do anything wrong and George gathers up the money. Candy pitches in money to help and live in the house with them. These events are related to the conflict because they are solving the problem of lack of money.
C) Climax: The point of the plot was to lead up to the point where they lost Lennie who got into trouble and messed it up. The most suspenseful moment was after Lennie had killed Curley's wife by accident and ran back to the pond they were at during the beginning. George knew Curley would kill him so he shot him.
D) The outcome was sad because Lennie was killed and he was friends with George. The story did not tell what happened next but George and Candy probably saved up enough money to get the house and lived there. It showed the life of a man getting land.
8) The theme was to get to your goal; you must go through great troubles. You may have to loose things dear to you.
9) My novel relates to US history because it shows the life of a man who is striving for land and wealth. The times back then were harsh and the story showed what it was like.
10) I did not like the book because it was too old fashioned and I like different genres.
11) My title would be a Desire for Land.