First Amendment-->freedom of religion, speech, press, assembly, and petition.
I. Freedom of Religion
A. Prohibits Congress from establishing an official religion in the U.S.
1. Separation of Church and State
B. Guarentees Americans the right to practice religion as they wish
II. Freedom of Speech
A. Guarentees Americans the right to say what is on their minds in public or in private without fear of punishment
1. Does not permit speech that harms other people, slander
2. Does not include the right to endanger our government (treason)
3. Also called "freedom of expression"
III. Freedom of the Press
A. Protects our rights to publish information freely
1. No one allowed to publish information that will harm other people's reputation or endanger the government (libel)
B. Americans have the right to read what other people have published
IV. Freedom of Assembly
A. Protects the right to assemble peacefully
B. Protects right to form and join organizations
V. Right to Petition
A. Guarentees the right to petition the government
*petition= formal request
Right to express our ideas to the government
*Freedoms do not allow us to do things that break the law.