The Palace of Minos is situated in Knossos, Crete, Greece. It is in the approximate centre of the island, just inland from the northern coast, about 5km from the centre of Iraklion. The palace covers an area of 20,000 square metres and has around 1400 rooms.
The palace was built sometime around 2000B.C. during Crete's golden age; however, it was completely destroyed due to an earthquake around 1700B.C. The palace was built by Greek Mycenaean and was first discovered by Minos Kalokairinos in 1878 and the palace was completely excavavated and partially reconstructed by Sir Arthur Evans. The Palace of Minos was known in Greek mythology as the palace of the legendary king Minos, ruler of a large naval empire, and as the site of the labyrinth that was supposed to have been constructed by Minos's architect Daedalus to house the King.
After the destruction of the palace, a new one was built immediately on the ruins of the old one and it was more complex in plan, like a labyrinth.
Then, in the middle of the 15th century B.C. when the Achaeans from the Greek Mainland conquered Crete, it was partially destroyed. And the palace was finally destroyed again by fire from Santorini Volcano in the mid-14th century B.C.
The Palace of Knossos is the largest and the most spectacular of all the Minoan palatial centres. It was constructed in a labyrinth-like pattern and it provided housing for about 100,000 people. Colourful friezes and frescoes, figures and paintings on plaster fill the walls of the palace and exhibit life from this era. There are varying pictures from animals and people to gods and various ceremonies, which depict an advanced and sophisticated society. A great variety of materials were used in the building of the palace but...