Intro to the 90s:
* Today, instead of everyone following the same "look", people wear clothes that they want and how they want.
* That's why the 90s was known as the "dress down decade".
* By the end of the 21st century dressing down in every aspect of life became an accepted thing.
Movement Away from the 80s:
* Fashions in the 90s moved away from the frills, shoulder pads and chunky jewellery of the 1980s.
* The new look was "minimal" and "casual yet stylish", and the look for women was slim fitting clothes with minimal jewellery, hair and makeup.
* In business, both men and women moved away from traditional suits, as suits became more casual.
* Jeans remained popular in the 1990s, as the opted towards the casual look.
* In 1998, Australia spent 450 million dollars on 8 million pairs of Levis Jeans.
Trends and Styles of the 90s:
* There was a diverse range of styles that were popular with youths in the 90s.
* The dominant clothing fad at the beginning of the 1990s was fluorescent or neon clothing.
* Fluorescent clothing was associated with cool, summer themes like surfing and the beach.
* Fluorescent clothing was especially popular with teenage children.
* Fluorescent clothing items included t-shirts, jumpers, socks, shoelaces and hair ties.
* The popularity of bright colours declined through 1995.
* One of these being Grunge.
* In the early 90s, there was a mass rebellion against the consumer society of the 80s- and due to this a new style was formed known as Grunge.
* Kurt Cobain, the lead singer of Nirvana was a classic example of the style of Grunge.
* The clothing was ill-fitting, over sized, messy and worn in layers.