1. How developments in semi conductors have challenged technology? Transistors are the main components of microprocessors. They give micro - processors the skill to preform tasks from simple word processing. Transistors can carry out millions of instructions per second on a small and simple chip. Space shuttles, medical equipment, TVs & computers all use microprocessors. Before transistors, computers relied on slow and useless vacuum tubes & mechanical switches to develop information. However now with transistors, microprocessors are the main function of our personal computers.
Silicon chips Most integrated circuits are based on a silicon chip. Silicon is a semiconductor, a material that can be doped (treated) to control electric signals. Manufacturers use substances such as aluminium or boron as impurities to dope silicon. Chemical processes add the impurities to specific areas of the chip. The kind and arrangement of the impurities decide how each area controls signals. Most areas serve as transistors.
2. The effects of current research into superconductors.
In 1990 the marker for the commercial user of MACLEY technology researched superconductors. The research gained the status of nationally founded projects in Japan. Also in December 1998. Pirelli wiro built an 115kv test cable using high temperature semiconductor wire. There have been no major advancements in superconductors. However Tc's have accomplished in recent years. Another discovery such as in 1997 was when a researcher discovered that an alloy of gold and indium was both a superconductor and a natural magnet. Further discoveries were the first high temperature superconductor that doesn't contain copper. The discovery of the first plastic superconductor was found recently.
3. What are the six careers in which skills in and understand of electricity and electronic could be useful.
They are: Surgeons, Doctors, Sciences Teachers, Pilots, and Electrician.
4. Evaluating the impact of electric technology on society.
Two examples of the positive impacts on society are: 1) Computers- computers are used by most of the world's population today. They are used for storing and arranging information into files. They are an easy way to keep files safe. Computers are used by students (both high school & primary school) sectaries, teachers, solicitors & office workers. Computers provide the Internet to people around the world. Computers are a positive aspect of the electronic technology in society, because they are useful and it would be difficult to live without them today.
2) Telephones- telephones are useful to everyone. Telephones are an easy way of telecommunication around the world. They are easily used and are available to most people. They are used by all people of all ages. Telephones are a positive aspect of the electronic technology in society, because they are useful and it would be difficult to live without them today.
Two examples of the negative impacts on society are: 1) Mobile phones "ÃÂ mobile phones are a useful new technology, however they let small amounts of radiation into a humans brain when using this particular phone. Mobile phones are a negative aspect of the electronic technology in society, because they are harmful to they people who use them.
2) Microwaves "ÃÂ microwaves also harmful to people of society because it also produces radiation when being used. Microwaves are a negative aspect of the electronic technology in society, because they are harmful to they people who use them.
5) Supporting scientific research.
Scientific research is a main part of society today. It allows the people of society to understand the new discoveries. If the researchers keep researching today, then in the future these findings will be helpful to find cures and new technology will be made to help the people of society to live and work better.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: I used many resources to complete my assignment and theses include: ÃÂÃÂ· The Internet ÃÂÃÂ· Microsoft Encarta ÃÂÃÂ· Webster's encyclopaedia ÃÂÃÂ· Hutchinson encyclopaedia