Charles Rennie Mackintosh
Charles Rennie Mackintosh was born in Glasgow on the 7th June 1868. He trained as an architect at a local firm and studied art and design at evening classes at Glasgow school of art.
He was an architect and designer in Glasgow, where a majority of his work still remains, for 2o years. He left Glasgow in search of recognition in London where he died. He was given almost no recognition by his native city, Glasgow, which in the late 19th century and early 20th century was the progressive movement in painting and decorative arts.
At art school, Mackintosh and his friend and colleague Herbert MacNair, met the talented sisters, Margaret and France MacDonald. These four artists were known as the 'Glasgow Four' and they collaborated in designing furniture, metalwork and illustration. They developed a strange and distinctive style using female figures and nature.
Their style soon earned them the nickname of 'The Spook School', and their work, particularly in England, was treated with suspicion because of its decadent influence of Art Nouveau.
The majority of Mackintosh's work was created in the short and intense period of time, between 1896 and 1910. A friend helped Mackintosh secure prestigious commission to design the new Glasgow school of Art. He also designed the interiors of many Glasgow tearooms and also the interiors of houses for businessmen such as William Davidson and Walter Black.
In Europe, the originality of mackintosh's work was recognised in Germany an Austria, he received the acclaim that he would never have got in Scotland.
In 1900, the Mackintosh's were feted in Vienna as a result to their contribution to the 8th Vienna succession. This lead to friendships with designers such as Joe Hoffmann and the commision to design the Wamdorfer Music Salon. In 1902,