Vestavia Hills High School
Science Student Safety Contract
PURPOSE Science is often a hands-on laboratory class. You, the student, may be doing laboratory activities which
require the use of potentially hazardous equipment/chemicals. Safety in the science classroom is the # 1
priority for students, teachers, and parents. To ensure a safe science classroom, a list of rules has been
developed and provided to you in this Science Student Safety Contract. These rules, and any additional
rules particular to individual activities, must be followed at all times. As you read through the Contract,
make a note of any questions you may have and ask your instructor for clarification. The last page of this
Contract must be signed by you and given to your teacher before you can participate in laboratory
activities. The remainder of the Contract is to be kept in your science notebook as a constant reminder of
the safety rules. You should review them periodically.
GENERAL GUIDELINES 1. Conduct yourself in a responsible manner at all times.
2. Follow all written and verbal instructions carefully. If you do not understand a direction or part of a
procedure, it is your responsibility to ask the instructor before proceeding.
3. Never work alone. No student may work in the laboratory without an instructor available to the lab
area. Work only under the supervision of your instructor.
4. When first entering a science room, do not touch any equipment, chemicals, or other materials in the
laboratory area until you are instructed to do so.
5. Do not eat food, drink beverages, or chew gum in the laboratory. Do not use laboratory glassware as
containers for food or beverages.
6. Perform only those experiments authorized by the instructor. Never do anything in the laboratory that
is not called for in the laboratory procedures...