Study notes on the conflict in indo-china (Aust syllabus)
Conflict in Indo-China
1. Medical photographs of Napalm Burns
2. My Lai Massacre - over one hundred unarmed Vietnamese civilians
àOfficial army photographer - hidden camera
3. Secret Bombing of Cambodia - America uninformed
àRichard Nixon's November 1969 speech conceals illegal 8 month long bombing of neutral Cambodia
4. Deep revulsion felt by majority of Western intellectuals @ atrocities + manipulation of public opinion
= highly critical of US motives + strategy
5. Australia's role in Vietnam à refer to Terry Burstall
6. Internal politics of NVA/ NV àrefer to Bui Tin
Right Wing Interpretations
2. See as war waged in defence of democratic values
àUS intervened to prevent communist oppression - authoritarian government
3. Blame war on North aggression
4. Argue war must be seen in context of communist attempt at global domination
àpart of the cold war
5. Blame media and anti-war movements for US defeat
6. See Pol Pot's excessive brutality as an expression of communist ideology
àArgue continued US intervention could have prevented such genocide
7. some concede US miliary strategies:
1. terrible consequences for civilian populations
2. counter productive to gaining support
ààgeneral implication that ends justified the means
Historians: 1. General William Westmoreland
2. W. W. Rostow
3. Michael Lind Vietnam: The Necessary War (1999)
Left Wing Interpretations
1. RADICAL LEFT
àNVA conducting a genuine national liberation struggle against US imperialism
àGabriel Kolko Anatomy of a war
2. LIBERAL LEFT
àWar = tragic mistake of US policy
àStanley Karnow Vietnam: A history
3. Civil war - US no right to intervene
4. Not defending democracy - forcing despotic, unpopular dictatorship on SV
5. suffering caused by US tactics = unjustifiable
World History essays:
... in the Mediterranean. The first war (264-241 BC) started because a conflict between two different city states on the island of Sicily, Messana and ... Rome off for three years. Any remaining Carthaginians were made slaves and Rome burned the city. Thus, with that victory three years after the last war ...
... the My Lai massacre to remember the day, and to remember the dead. Among the mourners were helicopter pilot Hugh Thompson and his gunner Lawrence Colburn who had rescued Vietnamese civilians involved ...
... killing civilians saying they are Vietcong. Vietcong are Vietnamese communists. He estimated 200 hundred Vietcong in My Lai, but ...
... in 938, 1257, in the 1280s, in 1406 and 1788Vietnamese resented outsiders and admired the military heroes and hence developed a distinctive military style called guerilla warfareImportance of the conflict to the USAVietnam war had a major impact on ...
Notes on the events and relationships between countries leading upto WW1 and some of the Military Plans Put into action.
... lack of alliance to any other group, consequently having no interest in conflict. Neutrality has to be respected and protected by other countries, that ... 2. Both Russia and Germany claimed spheres of nfluence in northern China (eg Port Arthur) 3. Russia was weaker by far then ...
... with Russia ?Persia/ Afghanistan ?Afghanistan was a former colony of Britain, until Russia took over Afghanistan ?Russia and Britain under conflict over these two areas -Fashoda Incident ?1898 ?In Africa ?When France was looking for colonies in Africa they came into ...
Australia's contributed significantly to international conflicts in the 20th century - Bougainville and East Timor.
... return to the island. Throughout the whole process human rights were ignored and thousands of civilians suffered. Formal negotiations took place in July 1997 when the conflict decreased. A truce was signed in October 1997 and a ceasefire obtained. Another ceasefire ...
... prove so. The supremacy of defence due to technology helped prolong the war. WW1 was the first total war- a conflict between highly industrialized economies and militaries. Factories churned out ammunition; mass shells and people from both sides were conscripted. Barbed ...