Essay by dennyyHigh School, 12th gradeB+, November 2014

download word file, 2 pages 0.0

Denzel Griffin

May 20,2014

Trichomoniasis Disease

Trichomoniasis is a sexual infection that is caused by parasitic trichomonads(a parasitic protozoan with four to six flagella and an undulating membrane, infesting the urogenital or digestive system), chiefly affecting the vagina, urinary tract, or digestive system. Trichomoniasis is found primarily in women through the ages of 16 and 35 and it spreads from an infected person to an uninfected person during intercourse. The infected element found in a women is usually in her vulva, vagina, or the urethra. The most infected part found in men is the penis. An estimated 7.4 million new cases each year in women and men. For most people infected with Trichomoniasis they have no symptoms at all. In fact, they would never know that they have the STD unless they go get tested. Trichomoniasis is the most common curable STD in young sexually active women.

About 70% of infected people are asymptomatic and the other 30% with symptoms can include a greenish-yellow, frothy vaginal discharge, strong odor, painful urination, vaginal itching/irritation, and discomfort during intercourse.

If symptoms appear, it usually takes 3 to 28 days for them to develop. Without treatment, trichomoniasis can increase a person's chances of getting or spreading other STDs. Pregnant women with trichomoniasis can deliver premature or low birth weight babies. If you catch it early, both you and your partner can be successfully treated with prescription medicine. Treatment will require antibiotics like tinidazole and metronidazole 500 mg 3 times a day for 7-10 days.[0: ]

Trichomoniasis vaginals is spreaded through sexual contact with an infected partner which includes penis-to-vagina intercourse or vulva-to-vulva contact. The parasite cannot survive in the mouth or rectum and the risks of acquiring the STD is greatest in those who are promiscuous, especially if they do not use...