Essay by EssaySwap ContributorCollege, Undergraduate February 2008

download word file, 5 pages 0.0

Downloaded 826 times
Keywords , , , ,

The summer of 1999 I had just started working at Village Oaks Elementary as a Co-op student. I had always wanted to work at Village Oaks only because I had gone there for 3rd and 4th grade. On Aug 16th, 1999 I got up extra early to get to work early, I got up at 6 A.M because I had to be at work by 8 A.M. While I was getting ready my left eye started twitching. As I remembered, my mom told me that it's a bad thing if your left eye starts twitching. I never did believe her about that. So as I continued to get ready, and then had breakfast. After breakfast I got in my car and went to work.

I knew Mr. Brown (principal) would be happy if I had gotten to school early to show him that I really wanted this job and was willing to do anything.

I got to Village Oaks at around 7:45 A.M. As I was answering the phones that were ringing off the hook, due to all the parents wanting to know when school would start again my left eye started twitching even faster. I didn't know what to do. I got scared. This has never happened to me before. I didn't know what to think, it could be anything. I kept on rubbing my left eye just to see if it would get better. Which it didn't so I continued working, making copies, answering phone calls, greeting the parents, and filing new students files in the drawers. When a parent came in to find out what the school hours would be for next year, she kept on looking at my eye but didn't ask what was wrong. Then she finally asked me about my eye, and she said, "What's wrong with your eye it's all red?" I told her I had gotten something in my eye and I'll be ok.

It was 2:45 P.M. I only had 15 more minutes to work till I could go home, I was happy. It was a long day only because it was my first day. The phones got quite around 2:45 P.M and no one was calling. Then all of a sudden the phone started ringing, I look over at the caller ID it was my brother. He wanted me to go to Hillers after work and get some milk for the house because we had ran out of it. So I told him I would be home around 4:30 P.M. or so because I wanted to drive around due to the long day at work. It was 3:00 P.M. when I was about to leave when Mr. Brown came to me and congratulated me on surviving the first day. He asked me If I wanted to quit yet, I told him no I liked the job and wanted to keep it. As he was telling me that the job will get easier and much more exciting my left eye started twitching even more. I was scared even more because I was about to get into my car and it could be anything.

Then I got in my car and started to drive away. I was heading towards Hillers. I had been working from 8-3 so I decided that I'd just drive around. I was on Haggerty going towards 10mile. The traffic was horrible. Haggerty's left lane was jammed packed all the way to 9 mile, so decided to drive in the right lane because I didn't want to wait in the long line to go straight. I was driving and all of a sudden I saw a big van turning out in front of me, I then slammed on my brakes but it was to late the van had hit me on my side. My car did a 180 and I had no idea what was going on. I was in shock. All of a sudden all these people were running towards me. I was wondering what was going on obviously it wasn't good.

The next thing I noticed was the cop in front of my face. He was standing there asking me 20 questions which to me seemed like 1,000 questions. And I didn't know what to answer him because me myself didn't know what was going on. I reached over to the passenger side and grabbed my water bottle just to see if water would calm me down. Which it did. Then the cop took my license and my registration and went back to his car to look up my file.

The cop came back and explained what had happened. He told me " you were in the right lane and someone in the left lane had told his van to go because there was no one coming from the right lane so the guy took the turn." I was like but it couldn't be my fault cause he was supposed to watch me. The cop said, "No, it wasn't your fault it's the other guys fault he should of watched traffic and not judge his whole life on what the other lady had told him." The cop also had told me that the other guy had gotten the ticket and not to worry about anything at least neither of us got hurt. Then the cop asked me again if I was ok and I told him yeah.

Since I didn't have a cell I had to ask the cop to call for a tow truck and since my car wasn't in drivable shape I asked him if he would give me a ride back home. I couldn't have had my parents pick me up cause they had been gone on a vacation and the only one that was home was my younger brother who didn't know how to drive at the time of the accident.

We waited there for about 15 minutes for the tow truck. The cop said there is no point in waiting for the truck because they can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to get here. Then he started writing a note saying drop the car off at my house and left the address and stuck it to the window.

So the cop drove me home. When I got home I had noticed that my eye stopped twitching for some reason. So I guess my mom was right about the whole if your left eye twitches it's a bad thing.

In the end you should believe what your parents tell you, and not think that they are out to get you. If I had believed my mom about something bad happening I would have been more cautious about me driving. But if it's meant to be it's meant to be and you can't change that.