CELEBRATING THE LIFE
SAMUEL MONROE TAYLOR
Saturday, May 17, 2003
1:00 p. m.
As I look out over this gathering, I see a whole host of family and friends who have come here today to celebrate the life of Samuel Monroe Taylor.
You may have known him as aNames of Samuel Monroe Taylor
Son Formal designations:
Brother in Christ/Child of GodSamuel
Friend Informal designations:
Namesake of the biblical"Uncle Buck"
Prophet, noble and strong"Buck"
1) "Who started all this?"
2) (Referring to where he was when various people were born, e.g.
When my sister Shirley was born in 1953 He was home on leave from Korea: "Look like to me ya'll need to get Muriel to the hospital;
hurry up and get that girl to the hospital"- every time for Shirley's b-day and any time in between
3) "Hey there!"
4) "Don't jump up and get married, got to give me time; let me know in advance; don't let me know at the last minute; I'm getting too old for surprises
5) "Pres Wolf" his buddy for life: Laurel & Hardy/Abbott & Costello
- where one went the other was not far behind; they were inseparable
How he helped us:
1) Driving lessons: down long one-lane driveway / Miss Blanche/ Mr.
Pres Woltz; took us to get our license using his car; on the road lessons;
he sat in the back while nieces took over
2) Critiqued boyfriends: Rhonda's prom date; why did the boy have to show up at Uncle Buck's in a lime green suit
3) Escorted me down the aisle nearly 21 yrs. Ago
4) Food he prepared/ Blessed the food/ "Are we goin' to eat like this again tomorrow?"
Lamb and gravy
5) Trips to the "country" -to visit the Woltzes, cousins John and Novella
(Never complained about us never being on time.)
Your presence here today to us celebrate the long and fruitful life of Samuel Monroe Taylor whose legacy continues.