SOSC 2570 2014 -1 5 F/W Mid-Term Exam Study Questions
The mid-term exam will have two parts: each part is worth 10%. The first part will be short answer questions asking you to provide brief elaborations of some of the main concepts we have examined. The second part will be a longer essay question. The exam accounts for 20% of your final course grade.
The exam will be held in class during the final lecture period of the term: 2:30 PM to 4:20 PM Wednesday Dec. 3th, 2014 in the same location where the lecture is normally held (LAS B).
Part I: Short Answer Questions
The exam will list SIX of the following questions from which you will be asked to choose FIVE. In your answers identify the meaning and explain the significance of the term, phrase or idea.
1. According to Aristotle, what is the ultimate "end of the things we do," "the good and the chief good"?
2. What does Aristotle mean by "desire"?
3. What part does Aristotle's idea of "virtue" play in his idea of "perfect friendship"?
4. What does Kant mean by the "sensus communis"?
5. What does Kant mean by "art"?
6. What does Kant mean by "freedom"?
7. What, according to Kant, is the character of the human species?
8. What does Hegel mean by "freedom"?
9. What does Hegel mean by "passions"?
10. Why, according to Hegel, are we "independent and so free" when governed by "reason"?
11. It what sense, according to Hegel, is it true that "man is free by Nature"?
12. According to Hegel, in what sense is "God" the "Unity of the Universal and Individual"?
Part II: Essay Questions
The exam will list THREE of the following questions from which you will be...