Islam is not only a religion, but a way of life
Islam is a way of life, as well as a religion. Those who follow Islam are very dedicated, for they live their whole life submitting themselves to Allah. As a matter of fact, the word Islam means submission to Allah. Those who follow Islam are known as Muslims, or those who submit to Allah's will.
Muslims believe in monotheism, or the belief in one God. There are two holy books that Muslims go by, the Koran and the Sunna. The Koran is said to be a record of God's words. The other book, the Sunna, is a record of Muhhamad's words and deeds compiled together after his death. The Koran and the Sunna cover many things that Muslims must go by. Some examples are: diet, marriage, and even the proper way to clean one's teeth.
There are two different groups of Muslims, the Shiites, and the Sunni.
The Shiites are those who support the decedents of Muhhamad as their rightful successors. The Sunni believed that the elections of the first three caliphs were valid.
There are five specific rituals that Muslims must follow. These rituals are known as the five pillars of Islam. These rituals are as follows:
1) Profession of faith. "There is no god but Allah, and Muhhamad is his prophet.
2) Prayer. Muslims must pray five times a day. When they pray, they must pray towards Mecca, the holy city.
3) Charity to the poor. Muslims must contribute to public charities.
4) Ritual fast during Ramadan. Muslims cannot eat from the break of day until the setting of the sun.
5) The pilgrimage to Mecca. Muslims must make at least one pilgrimage to Mecca at one time in their lives.
These are the five rituals...