The Country Of Jordan

Essay by EssaySwap ContributorUniversity, Bachelor's February 2008

download word file, 5 pages 3.0

The country of Jordan is located in the Middle East region of the world and lies at 31 00 degrees north longitude and 36 00 degrees latitude. Jordan is located just north of Saudi Arabia and is also bordered by the countries of Iraq, Israel, Syria, and West Bank. On a more common scale, Jordan is just a tad smaller then the more known country of India with 89, 213 total square miles, also having a 26-mile coastline. The land of the country is mostly dry desert climate in the east, with more of a highland area towards the western parts.

The estimated population of Jordan as of July of the year 2000 was a total of 4,998,564 people, with 38% of the people under 14 years, 59% of the people between 15 and 64 years, and only 3% of the population over sixty- five years old. Overall these figures give the country an average population growth of roughly 3.1%

per year with a birth rate of 26.24 births per 1,000 people, and a death rate of 2.63 deaths per 1,000 people. Of the entire population, 98% of the Jordanians are Arab, while only 2% of the population consists of Circassions and Armenians. Arabic is the obvious language of the country, and the major religion of Jordan is Sunni Muslim, which is practiced by 96% of the population. The other 4% of Jordanian religion is Christian, which to me is quite shocking considering the fact that the Holy Lands are so close including the major holy city of Jerusalem.

With a very inadequate supply of water and oil, Jordan's economy is obviously suffering, and the Persian Gulf crisis in August of 1990 only added fuel to the fire. During the crisis, many refugees flooded the country, which ultimately ended up...