That One Last Fish (fishing)

Essay by EssaySwap ContributorHigh School, 12th grade February 2008

download word file, 2 pages 5.0

Downloaded 567 times

That night I was going to sleep over my friend's house after a long day of excitement. We ended up going home at twelve o'clock after a night of movies and pool (billiards). We woke up the next morning at 10 and noticed we had nothing whatsoever to do. Kevin, my friend, suggested we go to the crossroads, but we had done that one to many times. We asked his dad for some suggestions. He convinced us to go fishing at the lake with the new fishing rod Kevin had just got.

We had been at the lake for an hour and had only gotten one bite from a tiny little fish. We decided not to waste taking pictures on. We had brought a big backpack full of snacks and drinks. We were already halfway through it after only an hour. About 20 minutes later Kevin cast. Within minutes there was a big tug on the pole.

He reeled it in as fast as he could. I told him to slow down or the hook would break through the fish's mouth or the line would break. I was right. Seconds later the hook flew out of the water barely missing my face. The fish got away. I had a sinking feeling we weren't going to catch another fish that day.

We were getting ready to leave when I decided to cast one more time. I took the rod and flung it as hard as I could. My cast was probably a 20-footer. I set my rod down to help Kevin clean up. After a minute or so I noticed that my rod had moved ever so slightly. I really didn't pay much attention to it. Then, suddenly, the rod jumped up about a foot off the ground and began moving into the water. I jumped for the rod before it could go into the water and began to reel the fish in. I reeled and reeled. This fish was lashing all over the place. It was about 2 to 3 feet long and 5 or 6 pounds. I pulled sharply up on the rod and brought the fish completely out of the water. It flipped and flopped all over the place until Kevin came to my rescue and put his foot on the fish. I took out the hook. I picked it up and Kevin was there ready with the camera. As soon as the flash went off the fish jumped and dislodged itself from the hook. It looked as if it was walking as it hit the ground and jumped back into the water.

After that we decided we had enough fishing for one day. We finished cleaning up and left. I decided from then on I would always cast that one extra cast.