Magnesium, a description of the element

Essay by NeedsHelp73Junior High, 9th gradeA-, May 2002

download word file, 1 pages 3.0

Downloaded 44 times

Magnesium is silvery-white, flammable, and lightweight. The atomic number for magnesium is 12 and weights 24.312. Magnesium melts at 650K and boils at 1107K.

Joseph Black was the first to discover magnesium in 1755 in Scotland. Sir Humphrey Davy produced it in 1808. Magnesium is the eighth most abundant element found in the earth's crust. It is also found in large deposits; such as magnesite, dolomite, and other minerals.

About 65% of our human bodies are made of magnesium. It is found in the bones and teeth. The other 35% are in the blood, fluids, and other tissues. Drugs, alcohol, caffeine, and sugar cause magnesium loss. Loss of magnesium is related to high blood pressure, kidney stones, heart disease, and heart attacks.

We get almost all of our magnesium from vegetables and seafood. Hard water also has a source of magnesium.

Magnesium is used in flashlight photography, flares, and bombs.

It is also used in airplanes and missiles. You can help problems with magnesium. As an example; kidney stones, menstrual pain, alcoholism, muscle cramps.

People tent to sleep better at night after taking magnesium. As of right now, Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for magnesium is about 300-350 mg. for adults. Magnesium relaxes muscles. Magnesium is used in several over-the-counter antacids. A symptom of magnesium toxicity is more likely to occur if the intake of calcium is low. A symptom is depression of the central nervous system; causing muscle weakness, fatigue, and sleepiness.

Calcium-magnesium balance is important. If we increase calcium intake, we should increase magnesium intake. Since both calcium and magnesium are alkaline minerals, they are not taken with or after meals. They are best taken right before a meal.