You got the "Right One Baby"! The world of Coca Cola vs. Pepsi Cola

Essay by msbonnielaneUniversity, Master'sB+, July 2007

download word file, 4 pages 4.5

Downloaded 89 times

Did you know that over 11,000 cans of Coca Cola products are consumed every second of every day? That is over a billion sodas a day! This is a long stretch from when the company was first founded in 1886 and only sold an average of nine drinks a day. Yes, over one hundred years ago it sold for 5 cents a glass and was poured from a jug. The Coke trademark is now as much American icon as apple pie and baseball. Coca Cola Bottling is currently a Fortune 500 company that posts a $3.53 billion dollar net profit. Ironically, only 30% of their sales come from the United States-which means the remaining 70% are from overseas customers.

On the other side of the spectrum its rival, Pepsi, has also turned to be one of the most-loved beverages in the world. Found in over 190 countries on five continents, PepsiCo, Inc. is one among the most successful consumer products companies in the world.

Pepsi has several of the strongest brands and most respected products available in the market holding a strong second in the race of being world's largest beverage company; in the snack food sector, Frito-Lay Company is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of snack chips. PepsiCo's success is the result of price strategies, customer service, superior quality and choices products, high standards of performance, distinctive competitive strategies and the high integrity of their people (

With a population of 1 billion, according to its website, Coca Cola was reintroduced to the India consumers on October 23, 1993 only gaining third place in the cola market. (Pepsi holds the number one position.) The Pepsi Company (PepsiCo) took advantage of Coke's 16-year absence to grasp a strong hold on its customers. Under the reigns of Wayne Calloway who...