Partial Birth Abortion

Essay by cknight03College, Undergraduate March 2004

download word file, 3 pages 4.5

Downloaded 51 times

Claim of Fact Argument

The claim of fact presented in this argument is that babies/fetuses feel intense pain during the partial-birth abortion procedure. This is one of the main reasons that partial-birth abortions should be banned. The support for this claim is that the physicians and specialist in this area say so. The warrant for this support is that the physicians and specialist in this area are very prominent and credible for their work in this area.

The argument of whether partial-birth abortion should be legal has been going on since the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act was made a bill. The Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act is a bill that would ban partial-birth abortions at any stage in pregnancy unless the baby/fetus was going to endanger the mother's life. A partial birth abortion is an abortion in which the person performing the abortion partially delivers a living fetus/baby before killing the fetus and completing the delivery.

A partial-birth baby is one that has been in the womb for 4-6 months. At one time these abortions were thought to be rare. However, a PBS program that aired in January 1997 proved otherwise. Dr. James McMahon had developed a method of abortion in the 7th month that he performed some 2,000 times. Out of these 2,000 abortions, only 9% were proved for health reason. The most common reason for the remaining 91% was depression. This is not a justifiable reason for murder, innocent babies are being killed for personal reasons. The Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act would put an end to such activity.

Recently the Physicians' Ad Hoc Coalition for Truth (PHACT- a group of over 500 physician specialists) met to discuss partial-birth abortions. They discovered that partial-birth abortions are not medically necessary to protect a mother's health or future fertility. Besides that...